Big protection in a tiny chip.
Every Great Plains Bank debit card now comes with chip-enabled technology, also known as EMV or chip cards. This means greater fraud protection for you when you use your debit card at chip-enabled terminals. Don't worry, this enhanced security will come at no cost to you and your card can be used anywhere your Great Plains Bank debit card is already accepted. Follow the steps below for quick and easy transactions.
- Insert your card with the chip toward the terminal, facing up. Do not remove until prompted.
- Provide your signature or PIN as prompted. Some transactions may not require either.
- When the terminal says the transaction is complete, remove your card.
Always remember to leave your card in the terminal until prompted to remove it. If the terminal is not chip-enabled, simply swipe your card using the magnetic strip.
Please note that if you have not yet activated your new chip-enabled debit card your existing non-chip-enabled debit card may be deactivated. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- What does EMV Stand for?
EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard, Visa. It is the global standard for chip-based Debit and Credit Card transactions. It is a joint effort between Europay, MasterCard and Visa to ensure security and global acceptance so that MasterCard and Visa Cards can continue to be used everywhere.
- What is EMV
Chip cards are based on a global card payment standard called EMV, currently used in more than 80 countries. There are more than 3.4 billion chip cards issued across the globe. Learn more at emv-connection.com/consumers
- What is a chip card and why am I getting one?
Chip cards are payment cards that have an embedded chip. Chip cards offer you advanced security when you use the chip to pay in store or at an ATM.
- Why are chip card transactions more secure?
Chip card transactions offer you advanced security in-store and at the ATM by making every transaction unique. Your chip card is more difficult to counterfeit or copy. If the card data and the one-time code are stolen, the information cannot be used to create counterfeit cards and commit fraud.
- Can I still pay in store or use an ATM if I don’t have a chip card?
Yes, merchants and ATMs will continue to accept magnetic stripe cards.
- Can I still use my chip card at a non-chip-enabled ATM or merchant terminal?
Yes, your card will have a chip and a magnetic stripe to accommodate any situation.
- Where can I use my chip card?
Anywhere. Your card will have a chip and magnetic stripe to accommodate any situation.
- I received a new chip card as a replacement for my non-chip-enabled card but the image is not the same as my old card. Can I get a card with the image I want on it?
Yes. We offer a variety of card styles to suite your personality. Please visit your local GPB branch to check out your options. We are offering a one-time discounted rate of $5 to replace your new chip-enabled card with a new card style of your choice. Subsequent card style changes are subject to a higher fee.
Do you still have questions? No problem. Check out the complete list of frequently asked questions below.
You can also contact us or stop by your local branch and we would be happy to assist you with any of your debit card questions or needs.