Below is a list of documents that are required when you apply for a mortgage. However, every situation is unique and you may be required to provide additional documentation. If you’re asked for more information, providing the requested information as soon as possible will help speed up the application process.
- Copy of signed sales contract including all riders
- Verification of the deposit you placed on the home
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of all realtors, builders, insurance agents and attorneys involved
- Copies of your pay-stubs for the most recent 30-day period and year-to-date
- Copies of your W-2 forms for the past two years
- Last two years of filed federal tax returns
- Names and addresses of all employers for the last two years
- Work Visa or Permanent Resident Card (copy front & back)
If self-employed or receive commission or bonus, interest/dividends, or rental income:
- Provide full tax returns for the last two years. Please provide complete tax return including attached schedules and statements. If you have filed an extension, please supply a copy of the extension.
- K-1s for all partnerships and S-Corporations for the last two years. Please double-check your return. Most K-1's are not attached to the 1040.
- Completed and signed Federal Partnership (1065) and/or Corporate Income Tax Returns (1120) including all schedules, statements and addenda for the last two years. Required only if your ownership position is 25% or greater.
If you will use alimony or child support to qualify:
- Provide divorce decree/court order stating amount as well as proof of receipt of funds.
- If you receive Social Security income, disability or VA benefits: provide award letter from agency or organization.
Source of funds and down payment
- Sale of your existing home - provide a copy of the signed sales contract on your current residence and statement or listing agreement if unsold. At closing, you must also provide a settlement/Closing Disclosure.
- Savings, checking or money market funds - provide copies of bank statements for the last two months.
- Stocks and bonds - provide copies of your statement from your broker or copies of certificates.
- Gifts - if part of your cash to close, provide Gift Letter and proof of receipt of funds.
- Based on information appearing on your application and/or your credit report, you may be required to submit additional documentation
Debt or obligations
- Include all names, addresses, account numbers, balances and monthly payments for mortgage holders and/or landlords contact information for the last two years if not on your credit report.
- If you are paying alimony or child support, include marital settlement/court order stating the terms of the obligation.